[OM] Cameta saved me money!!!

Subject: [OM] Cameta saved me money!!!
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 19:17:58 +0000
I noticed last night on eBay that Cameta is auctioning a bunch of SHLD-2
battery holder sets.  I have lots of E-1 goodies, but not one of these, because
I consider it (a) overpriced (b) unnecessary weight and bulk for my modus
operandi, particularly since I have two BLM-1 batteries and a car charger.
But, primarily, I don't have one because (c) my digital kit* fits snugly and
neatly in an old LowePro Compact 35 bag, and with this thing stuck on the
bottom of the E-1, it wouldn't fit and I'd have to switch to a larger bag.
Nevertheless, since they seemed to be going for about $200 less than the
$449.95 B&H, et al., sells them for, I decided to snipe one.

I admit that I am, as an archetypal curmudgeon, somewhat irascible and that I
occasionally over-react to minor irritations, so my response was more or less
to be expected when I simply tried to copy and paste the item number from eBay
over to eSnipe in order to set my snipe and was confronted by a pop-up box with
a big red X, blocking my action and accusing me of attempting to steal some of
Cameta's precious text, warning me to "use your own text and images."

I pondered this affront for a moment, weighed briefly the inconvenience it
imposed, considered just sucking it up, writing down the number, then typing it
in on eSnipe.  Fortunately, I was too pissed off to do so, muttered something
about Cameta and the horse they rode in on, and just blew the whole thing off.

Now that I think about it retrospectively and calmly, I bet dollars to donuts
that they are shoving these things out the door cheaply because they have
gotten some advance information that they won't fit the E-3.  I mean, they are
offering no great deals on any of the "more better" lenses, flashes and other
goodies that almost certainly will work with the E-3 and subsequent models, but
just this thing.

Thank you, Cameta, for irritating me enough to keep me from wasting $250, more
or less, on something I don't need and don't really want today and that
probably won't work on my camera tomorrow.  On the bright side, though, I
consider the apparent remaindering of these things another indication that the
E-3 is nigh!  :-)

Walt

*E-1, 14-54/2.8-3.5 ZD, 7-14/4 ZD, 50-200/2.8-3.5 ZD, 50/2 ZD macro, 500/8 OM
Zuiko, EC-14, EX-25, FL-50, FL-CB05, VA-1, 4/3 adapter, RM-CB1, B+W circular
polarizers (the only filters really needed for digital), extra BLM-1 and
SanDisk Extreme III card, and a few small necessities of the usual sort, all
being 12 lbs. 2 oz., including the bag.

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --