[OM] Re: Cameta saved me money!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: Cameta saved me money!!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:32:47 -0500

Walt Wayman wrote:

> I admit that I am, as an archetypal curmudgeon, somewhat irascible
> and that I occasionally over-react to minor irritations, so my
> response was more or less to be expected when I simply tried to copy
> and paste the item number from eBay over to eSnipe in order to set my
> snipe and was confronted by a pop-up box with a big red X, blocking
> my action and accusing me of attempting to steal some of Cameta's
> precious text, warning me to "use your own text and images."

Hmmm.  Very interesting.  I wouldn't have thought this was possible.  I
have assumed that all the logic for copying and moving text was totally
within the browser.  I don't know how Cameta's page logic could even be
aware that you were copying something.  Obviously there is much I don't
know about this stuff.  Can somebody 'splain it?

  > Now that I think about it retrospectively and calmly, I bet dollars
> to donuts that they are shoving these things out the door cheaply
> because they have gotten some advance information that they won't fit
> the E-3.  I mean, they are offering no great deals on any of the
> "more better" lenses, flashes and other goodies that almost certainly
> will work with the E-3 and subsequent models, but just this thing.

Hmmm.  Also very interesting.  I've always thought that Minolta's $200
price for a double battery box was outrageous enough but Olympus' $500
price was pure insanity; especially considering that it didn't even take
the same battery.  Good that it will likely be discontinued and even
better that you didn't get one.

Perhaps the E-3 will be a truly professional body meaning that the
vertical grip and expanded battery capacity will be built in.  Then they
can charge everybody $500 extra.  Well... at least try.

Chuck Norcutt