[OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening

Subject: [OM] Re: Cameta has me weakening
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:33:04 -0500

Moose wrote:

> One of the defining moments in my decision to go with a 300D was
> standing in a camera store playing with and E-1 and a 300D. Aiming at
> areas  that were modestly lit, but with high contrast detail, like paper
> boxes stacked up in a corner, the E-1 struggled to focus in the tele
> range, taking 2 seconds or more to settle down. The 300D just snapped
> into focus. This also agrees with what the dpr reviews said.
>
> Last Christmas, taking candids of family across a couple of rooms
> indoors at night, the 300D sometimes couldn't find focus at 300mm, f5.6,
> but was overall surprisingly good. And the 20D tests better at low light
> focus.

That's very good to know and I am not surprised.

>>The range thing is very frustrating.  There is plenty of constant
>>aperture 2.8 wide to tele glass for Canon thingies but they start at 24
>>or 28mm which, after the crop factor is applied means 38-45mm equivalent
>>on the short end.  Going wider at 2.8 means changing lenses to something
>>in the 17-35mm range.  I can see myself changing lenses all night long
>>when covering events.  And who wants to do that; especially with no
>>ultrasonic dust shaker. :-)
>>

> Weeelll... Can*n does have the 17-85/4-5.6 IS, which is 27-136mm eq.
>
> When you figure that the 20D is at least 2 stops faster than the E-1,
> for equivalent image noise, that becomes the eq. of an f2.0-2.8 lens.

But I have not counted the 17-85/4-5.6 as being in the game.  It's
exactly the right focal length range and, as you say, the 20D is two
stops faster than the E-1 for equivalent image noise.  Fine for taking
pictures... once the focus is achieved.  Unfortunately, good high ISO
performance by the body doesn't help me see the image in the viewfinder.
  That's why I've been concentrating on 2.8 glass even though expensive.

I need some bionic eyes with image amplifiers.

Chuck Norcutt