[OM] Re: Another game changing design

Subject: [OM] Re: Another game changing design
From: "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 17:38:09 -0500
I'm not convinced that it's "game changing", but it's certainly neat and
will pull a few new users into the fray, possible to buy one as a 2nd or
3rd camera.

The 180 degree panorama is nice, but I bet it will see limited utility, as
it's too gimmicy.  "Real" panorama shooters will opt for bigger sensors and
more sophisticated systems.  Casual users may tire of the PITA printing and
display of such wide panos.  OTOH, I could be wrong....

Touting the camera as an Ultra-wide in the press-release is stretching it a
bit, IMO.  It's only 23mm equiv. FOV.  Now if it was a 15mm or 18mm, then
I'd call it an UWA.  It's a super-wide.  But again, so many amateurs
haven't experienced true wide angle shooting that it may see a lot of use.
Most P&S users are used to "wide angle" as ~33mm, that anything wider might
catch like wildfire.  My wife uses a little Samsung P&S with a 28mm lens,
and loves the extra reach it gives her inside.

In the end, I'm just glad to see Kodak coming up with leading edge designs
that offer something truely new and useful, rather than the same old spam
wrapped in a new wrapper.  Maybe the Rochester Yellow Father has some life
left?  Xerox seems to be hanging on these days pretty well....

Skip