[OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:58:43 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2006 11:12:01 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

A good  Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 is hard to beat except for weight, which almost
everything beats.

The Tokina AT-X version of the 80-200mm f2.8 is a bit lighter and has a
better tripod mount IMHO.  Oh, in the OM mount a good bit harder to find  and
will
cost about the same (or more) as the Tamron SP.  I've owned both  and from
image quality, I doubt that anyone could tell the difference.  The  Tamron
60-300mm is also a good choice.

If we go back to the original question of what would make a good  backpacking
kit lens, I might drop the lens question and just look at kit in  which case
it might be an OMPC with Zuiko 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 and maybe something  like the
200mm f5 Zuiko and an extension tube or two.  If I felt compelled  to carry a
tripod, the Velbon 343E might be the choice or perhaps some variation  of
tabletop/clamp on tripod.  Bill Barber