[OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:05:30 -0500
At 08:58 AM 1/5/2006, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>If we go back to the original question of what would make a good  backpacking
>kit lens, I might drop the lens question and just look at kit in  which case
>it might be an OMPC with Zuiko 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 and maybe something  like the
>200mm f5 Zuiko and an extension tube or two.

Thinking along those lines another consideration might be a Kiron
28-85mm, f2.8-f3.8 instead of the 35-70mm.  You gain some reach on
either end compared to the 35-70mm, some speed for low light
conditions and, I think, quite a bit in image quality.  Another plus
is that it close focuses to 1:4.  The Kiron does weigh more though
than the 35-70mm since it looks to have the build quality of a tank.

Here's what Modern Photography had to say about the Kiron back in 1981:

"Kiron's varifocal 28-85mm f/2.8-3.8 zoom rated 34 out of 36
excellent ratings for center and corner sharpness (and the two
holdouts were both very goods) at 28, 50, and 85mm. Contrast rated as
all highs at 28mm, all but one high at 50mm, and mostly high at 85mm (center).
Quote: Based on our lab and field experience with the 28-85, we're
happy to say that it performs splendidly - better than any lens in
this focal-length range we've tested so far...
The lens close focuses to 1:4 macro shots without the need for macro
buttons or special settings. Both the 28mm and 50mm settings were
superb by f/5.6. Pincushion distortion was under 1.25%. Light falloff
at 28mm was a relatively high 1.4 stops at f/5.6, but only 0.3 stops at 85mm.
Here is an example of a Kiron varifocal mid-range zoom that is very
sharp and very contrasty, while delivering its best performance at
the wider and faster 28mm end of its range. "

And no, my copy isn't for sale.  ;-)

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson