[OM] Re: Maxell Li-Ion batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Maxell Li-Ion batteries
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:08:51 -0500
You apparently didn't read the commentary on the SterlingTek test and
tear down (third one down) at this site:
<http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm>

I just got the Maxell cells yesterday for the A1. $45 delivered for the
pair.  They are slightly less capacity than the Minolta (1430 mah vs.
1500) but the case construction seems to be of high quality.  At least I
will not be concerned about fire or explosion due to short circuiting or
over temp during charging.

These batteries actually come with a data sheet warning about proper
usage including ambient temperature range for charging.  It also
specifically states that the battery is protected against short
circuiting by a resettable fuse.  But it warns that short circuting may
still damage the battery... don't try this at home :-)

If you want to read some scary stuff just do a Google search on:
"lithium ion battery" fire explosion

Thanks, Mark.  Your original warning to me some weeks ago has turned me
into something of an evangelist on lithium ion battery safety.

Chuck Norcutt