[OM] Re: Maxell Li-Ion batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: Maxell Li-Ion batteries
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:51:35 -0500
All lithium ion batteries as used in DSLR's and other high end cameras
such as the A1 are pretty much the same.  They differ only in their
specific cell capacities (increasing as the technology matures) and
external contacts so that manufacturers can maintain a proprietary product.

You can choose to believe that the sloppiness and dishonesty evident in
the WT-BLM1 test doesn't apply to your BP-511 equivalent if you want to.

Read the material safety data sheet for a lithium ion battery and you
may decide you don't want to take any chances either.
<http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiumion_psds.pdf>

Here's an extract on fire and explosion
-------------------
If fire or explosion occurs when batteries are on charge, shut off power
to charger.

In case of fire where lithium ion batteries are present, flood the area
with water. If any batteries are burning, water may not extinguish them,
but will cool the adjacent batteries and control the spread of fire.
CO2, dry chemical, and foam extinguishers are preferred for small fires,
but also may not extinguish burning lithium ion batteries. Burning
batteries will burn themselves out.  Virtually all fires involving
lithium ion batteries can be controlled with water. When water is used,
however, hydrogen gas may be evolved which can form an explosive mixture
with air. LITH-X (powdered graphite) or copper powder fire
extinguishers, sand, dry ground dolomite or soda ash may also be used.
These materials act as smothering agents.

Fire fighters should wear self-contained breathing apparatus. Burning
lithium ion batteries can produce toxic fumes including HF, oxides of
carbon, aluminum, lithium, copper, and cobalt. Volatile phosphorus
pentafluoride may form at a temperature above 230° F.

Chuck Norcutt