[OM] Re: sad day for me

Subject: [OM] Re: sad day for me
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:06:54 +0000
I was developing Ektachrome way back in the dark ages, the late '50s, when it
was E-2, then E-3, and so on.  As I look across the room from where I'm typing
this, I see on a shelf in a bookcase one of the Great Yellow Father's E-3 kit
boxes, full of slides from God knows when, awaiting as much sorting and
organizing as I ever do.

Aside from keeping the temperature during a couple of steps within 1/2 degree
of 75 F., which ain't all that hard, the biggest PITA was mounting the slides.
Even the snap-together plastic mounts aren't all that much fun to use.
However, now that we're scanning more than we're projecting -- at least I am --
that's not all that big a deal.  The occasional real goody that deserves
projecting can be mounted, but you won't need to do the whole roll as soon as
it's dry.

But there's another problem.  Unless the chemistry has changed since I last
souped a roll of Ektachrome, once mixed, the chemicals don't last long, so
you're going to need to either shoot a lot all at once or store film in the
fridge until you've got enough to make it worthwhile to process.

I've got a guy who does E-6 for $9 a roll.  He barely speaks English and just
hangs the stuff all over his shop until you come to get it, then mounts it
while you wait, which takes him, since he has the right equipment, about a
minute for a 36-exposure roll.  So far, I've had no real problems with dirt and
dust, but it still aggravates me that he just hangs the film out willy-nilly to
dry and that carrying on any wort of conversation with him is next to
impossible.

Anyway, like Scott says, it's kinda fun, and anything that's fun is good for us.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --