[OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:02:18 -0800 (PST)
Now that I've gone over to the dark world of digital for nearly
all of my photography, my kit has changed, but this is something
that I'm seriously thinkng through as this may be the year that
I take my girls to Isle Royale.

If my main purpose is HIKING, then the cameras need to be small
and lightweight.  If the main purpose is PHOTOGRAPHIC
OPPORTUNITIES, then my loading is quite different.  I can live
without hauling a third change of socks if it means I can pack
an extra lens.

My last five-day backpacking trip was predigital and contained
the following kit:

XA (Delta 400)
OM-2S (Velvia)
OM-4 (Delta 100)
24/2.8
35/2.8
50/3.5
100/2.8
200/4
Custom Tripod.
Monopod.

In reality, I used mostly:

All three cameras, the 24/2.8, 50/3.5 and the 200/4 as well as
the tripod and monopod which doubled as my walking stick.

Nowadays with digital I'd take the following:
Olympus E-1 with 14-54 Zoom (28-108 equivelent)
200/4 and Zuiko adaptor
Minolta A1
Custom tripod and monopod
Maybe the Vivitar flash for night critter shots.

If I wanted to shoot film and keep things light weight, I'd take
the 24/2.8, 35/2.8 and 100/2.8.  Oh and the OM-2S with a backup
OM body tucked deep inside the back.

AG

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com