[OM] Re: web programs

Subject: [OM] Re: web programs
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:18:54 +1100
>>Jeff Keller wrote:
>>It used to be that positioning things on a page was nearly always done by
>>using tables that have invisible borders. The style sheet functionality
>>looks like it is off to a good start to replace that method. Whatever
>>program you get, I would recommend you put most of your attention on using
>>cascading style sheet type formating.
>>
>>It can be pretty hard to avoid the html. One of the best ways to create web
>>pages is to copy them, then change them. It seems like many of the WYSIWYG
>>programs have hiccups at times when you try to modify an existing page. You
>>should definitely have an easy way to view the html. It helps understand
>>what is happening.

>Ali wrote:
>Dreamweaver uses layers which makes placement much easier.

Layers are okay but I still prefer to use invisible tables.  I make them
100% wide then they'll shrink/expand to suit all screen resolutions.

One of my pet hates are 800px-wide websites that fills the left-hand side
of the browser window leaving a big empty space down the right.

And style sheets are the best invention since the OM-1.

Andrew McPhee
http://www.dev-stop-fix.com/