[OM] Re: A couple of E-500 observations

Subject: [OM] Re: A couple of E-500 observations
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:57:45 -0400
On 1/8/06, Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah, I've just read a posting on another forum where some idiot reckons a
> 1:1 macro lens becomes greater than 1:1 on a DSLR with a smaller than ff
> sensor !

Yeah, 1:1 is always going to be 1:1, it's just a matter of how much
you see at 1:1 that changes with the format. 1:1 on a 4x5 doesn't get
you any more than having a 1mm object in the scene being reproduced as
1mm on the film, you just see a whole lot more at that enlargement (a
4x5" area as oposed to a 36mm x 24mm area).

But, where you do get a difference is when you enlarge those shots up
to the same print size. Say you have a 1:1 shot on 35mm and a 1:1 shot
with a sensor 1/2 the size of the 35mm frame. To get to the same print
dimensions you'd have to enlarge the image from the smaller sensor
twice as much.

Or looking at it another way, if you had to go to 1:1 to fill the
frame with the object in 35mm then you'd have to do 1:2 with the 1/2
size sensor.

But a 1:1 shot with twice as much enlargement in the print isn't going
to give you the same detail as a 2:1 shot printed to the same size.