[OM] Re: cheap ebay radio slave, was: E-1 or E-300

Subject: [OM] Re: cheap ebay radio slave, was: E-1 or E-300
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:42:16 -0500
I'm not arguing for or against the e-300 (I still prefer to have both a
hotshoe and PC connection) but a cheap ebay radio slave (I have 4 of
them) will move the flash sync to the hotshoe and get rid of the PC
cable.  I use this same solution and sometimes have the transmitter
working from the hotshoe and sometimes from the PC connector (comes with
short PC cable)

All 4 of mine are the battery powered model "YHDC-B" and the last two
were purchased from this seller at small minimum bid + largish shipping
cost.  The total price is still low, however.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Radio-Slave-Flashlight-4-Channel-battery_W0QQitemZ7578034061QQcategoryZ30086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
In some recent chatter on dpreview's forums on this subject someone
commented that the AC powered receivers were more reliable than the
battery powered ones.  My battery powered ones have been reliable as
long as they're used within their range limits.  I have found them both
quite variable between units and also quite directional with maximum
range to the front and minimum to the rear.  My longest range unit (hand
picked and tested by the seller) reaches 150 feet to the front and about
80 feet to the rear.  My shortest range unit reaches about 60 feet to
the front and about 45 feet to the rear.  Plenty for studio work and OK
for other uses as long as you test each unit and use it within its
capability.

Caution:  different model numbers (eg: "YHDC-A") are frequency
incompatible.  I've even heard from another owner that some with the
same model number might be frequency incompatible.  Best to buy all you
will need in a single go.

Chuck Norcutt