[OM] Re: Tamron SP 17mm F3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron SP 17mm F3.5
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:27:15 +1100
Oh yes you can!
The removal of the apostrophe by cartographers and (here) the post
office and local authorities is no more that a vile administrative
policy designed to simplify style and reflect the fact that most
employees of the relevant agencies are as illiterate as the
communities that they serve. This is a trend that must be resisted at
all costs. Put it in!
I used to teach in a suburb that was illegitimately denied its
possessive apostrophe by bureaucratic fiat and trying to convince my
students of the error was panful - "Well, it's not on the street
signs, is it sir?!" (Visualise sneer). It's nearly as bad as the
decapitalisation of book titles by librarians.
May they all roast in the other place.
AndrewF