[OM] Re: Fungus

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:22:51 -0000
John Hermanson wrote:

> Sometimes it can be cleaned out, [...]

I have "inherited" 4 lenses, all with fungus:

50      1.8      major fungus damage
28      2.8      major fungus damage
135     2.8      minor damage except on rear element which is bad
35-105  3.5~4.5  front and rear elements; rest difficult to guess but
looks okay

Clearly the 28 and 50 are beyond economical repair. But I'm not sure
about the 135 and the 35-105.

I bought a set of tools and I've had the 50 apart as a guinea pig. The
aperture was also sluggish. It's even back together now, but the fungus
on the front element (group) in particular appears to go between some of
the lenses and is not accessible. But it's a great improvement, cleaned
just with alcohol.

I'm considering tackling the others, based on the fact that I have
little to lose. But the 135 looks a little more difficult, and getting
the rear element out looks like it's going to be tricky.

If I'm going to try, what is the best solution to use to try to clean
the lenses up with (i.e. to get rid of the fungus)?

Also, bearing in mind that the 35-105 would be worth more than a
professional clean will cost (assuming it comes out right), is it worth
sending it off?

Thanks,

Simon