[OM] Re: E-330

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:16:53 +1100

On 12/01/2006, at 1:34 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:

> On 11/01/06, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>  My prediction is an EVF version of the E-300 with
>> interchangeable lenses and the E-500 chip.
>> Anyone wanna bet a bottle of bad red on it? :-)
>> AndrewF
>
> Personally, I'd prefer a mirror lock-up, allowing the use of a
> tiltable LCD
> to monitor the CCD image, retaining the optical viewfinder for
> normal use.

That's another way of managing the problem although cruder perhaps.
You would also need to have shutter lock-open as well! That would
involve a lot of decisions and would not appeal to a market familiar
with chimping. Replacing the porrofinder with a small CCD that reads
the mirror would be far easier. I suspect that Oly are aiming at
competing with the new fixed lens EVF's like the Panasonics and the
new Samsung without returning to the E10/20 style themselves.
If Oly have found a way of providing LCD preview with all its
advantages, such as preview histograms, that would be an imaginative
breakthrough. Being the iconoclast I am, I think that the E-500 looks
much like all the rest and many mid-level fixed lens EVF bodies too
and that there is no real differentiation in style in the entry level
units now - I liked the look of the brick. A non-TTL zooming optical
viewfinder would seem to be impossible, given that it would have to
follow frame a range of lenses from 10-300mm! The only way I can see
it done realistically is with an EVF, a feature I dislike.
Why is it that an LCD display with 115K pixels or so looks so much
better than an EVF with 225K pixels? The finder looks crude and
unlovely to the point where focussing is impossible. I suspect that
it's due to what appears to be a black grid mask over the screen
which makes it look as coarse and grainy as a cheap TV image.
AndrewF