[OM] Re: OT (of course!): "outdated" NiMH charger?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT (of course!): "outdated" NiMH charger?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:16:43 -0500
I don't know the answer to your question but will relate some experience
of my own.

Several years ago I bought a Maha charger and a set of PowerEx 1800 mah
NiMH batteries from Thomas Distributing (recommended by several folks on
this list).  A year or so ago I spotted a pack of 6 Panasonic 2300 mah
batteries at BJ's and bought them as ideal for my Sunpak 522 which takes
6 AA's.  I have always used the Maha charger which works well and I have
since bought another Maha charger on ebay at a fraction of the price
that I paid Thomas Distributing.

I liked the Panasonic 2300's so much I decided to get a second set as
well as a second battery carrier for the 522.  When I went back to BJ's
I discovered that, in order to get the 6 Panasonic 2300's, I had to buy
a package kit that included a charger and a couple AAA batteries.

Initially, I liked the Panasonic charger more than the Maha since it's
the type that has a fold out plug and the whole thing attaches to the
wall socket.  No unsightly, tangled cords or separate power supply
module as with the Maha.

When I first tried the Panasonic charger I was running it and the Maha
side-by-side and was quite surprised that the Panasonic finished sooner.
  Out of curiosity I took the supposedly fully charged batteries out of
the Panasonic charger and put them in the Maha.  Much to my surprise the
Maha continued to charge them for quite some time.  Maybe an hour or so
as I recall.

Anyhow, I still use the Panasonic charger as additional capacity when
needed but the batteries ultimately go into the Maha charger later for a
top up.

ps:  The ebay sourced Maha charger was not only much cheaper than Thomas
Distrbuting but also came with a cigarette lighter adapter for charging
in the car.  Also, 2 or 3 of the PowerEx 1800 mah batteries from Thomas
have given up the ghost.  Life was probably about 2 years.

Chuck Norcutt