[OM] Re: E-330

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:21:19 -0600
> I don't entirely follow your reasoning, Andrew.  Obviously a mechanical
> shutter would have to remain open, but then it would work just like any
> other digicam with the screen on.  What are these decisions that have to
> be
> made? and how would this preclude chimping?
>
> I envisage a system whereby a switch locks the mirror up & shutter open
> and
> switches on the lcd, leaving the camera in that mode until switched back.
> Most complex bit would be doing the metering& focus detection off the ccd
> as
> well as through the optical viewfinder, but the software for that has
> surely
> already been done?
Ian,

Several problems. First, locking the mirror up will probably shorten battery
life to unacceptable levels. Second, this will most likely require some sort
of electro-mechanical system, which would increase manufacturing costs
beyond acceptable, as profits on digital cameras are razor thin now.

I would hope for a better evf as a solution in this area, and they are
probably either already available or nearly so, but I don't think there is a
groundswell of requests that will cause manufacturers to add this anytime
soon.

Fortunately, if evf's are like other things electronic, the subconrtactors
will likely move to higher resolutions, and force the issue, just not too
soon. We can only hope.

Bill Pearce