[OM] Re: Aperture setting rules of thumb

Subject: [OM] Re: Aperture setting rules of thumb
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:44:53 +1100

> AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Wayne asked:
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "symmetry" in this context -
> > please explain.
>
> Seeing that it's been months since I wrote that I'm not exactly
> sure which trait I was referring to.  However, here is one
> possible explanation:
>
> Prime lenses generally fall under two or three major "lens
> formulas".  Some lenses are what we would call "symmetrical".
> Look at a lens with the caps off through the front and the back.
> If the "hole" appears the same size through either end, it's
> symmetrical.  In a world where all else is equal, this
> translates to objects equal distant from the focus point being
> rendered in the same OOF manner. With most modern zoom lenses,
> the OOF characteristics of close objects render differently than
> far objects in reference to the focus point. Retrofocus designs
> are not symmetrical.
>
> Zuiko Lenses that are very close to symmetrical, and render
> predictable OOF characteristics both front and behind the focus
> point would include the 35/2.8, 40/2, and "some" of the 50mm
> lenses. The 50/1.4 comes to mind.
>
> The 135/3.5 and 50/3.5 are two lenses that comes to mind which
> are anything but symmetrical.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Ken.  I presume the "telecentric" lenses
for the 4/3 format will be much more asymmetric than those for OM.

> Another aspect, which I'm still getting my braincells around is
> the apparant increase in perspective distortion with the 4/3 and
> 2/3 sensors.  I seem to have to correct perspective more with
> the digital cameras than I ever did with film.

Perhaps this is due to the handling of the camera, in the same way that you
mentioned having to level your horizons maybe you're tilting the body more in
all 3 dimensions than you would with an OM.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com