[OM] OT - Mac G4 upgrade - sonnet

Subject: [OM] OT - Mac G4 upgrade - sonnet
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:28:44 +0100
Having read about one list member talking of 2-3 seconds to process an
olympus raw image on his new PC I decided something needed doing.

I have just swapped the cpu in my 6 year old mac at work, cpu went from
a 350Mhz to a 1.4Ghz sonnet and I am quite impressed, it's now faster
than the  newest  1.25Ghz proper apple cpu machine we have in the company.

My time to develop 1 raw picture went from 44 secs to 12secs   (on my
1ghz Ibook (with fast disk) and mac mini 1.4 it takes around 20 secs)

spurred on by this I have a machine at home which could support a dual
processor upgrade.

My question - should you wish to answer it is - has anyone experience of
dual processor upgrades. I think photoshop would be faster and I
multitask a lot - though if it works so quick then I won't have time to
multitask.

I would like a G5 but I want to see how the intel transistion goes.