[OM] Re: Macrophotography questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Macrophotography questions
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:44:41 -0800
> I would like to be able to do similar shots with my new Olympus.  What
> accessories would you most recommend to get me started?  I've seen
> accessories like the bellows, and would like to get one eventually, but
> I am thinking of starting much smaller scale.  Also, can anyone
> recommend any good books for starting out in macrophotography with
> slr's?

Welcome to the list Matthew,

As others have stated, the 50/3.5 and a set of extension tubes is a very
good start, and won't break the bank. As Hans recommended, I would also
suggest changing the focusing screen to a 1-4, 1-8, or 1-10. If you will be
doing much work at a 1:1 ratio, or larger the 1-11 and 1-12 are also an
option, as well as a varimagni finder. Here's a link to a great site ( I
believe it belongs to a list member) with lots of info about all the
different accessories Olympus made for the OM cameras, and it will help if
you're having any trouble figuring out what some of the things we're telling
you about are. http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm Another lenses to
consider ( although more expensive and harder to find ) is the Kiron 105mm
macro, this lens will give you more working distance, and do 1:1 all by
itself, no extension needed. I highly recommend you get John Shaw's Closeups
In Nature, it's a very good book on this subject.

Hope I helped, and happy shooting,
Darin