[OM] Re: E-330 Update

Subject: [OM] Re: E-330 Update
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:22:46 -0500
I guess there's no reason why you can't have a DSLR with an inter-line
sensor providing a live view to the LCD.  Noise performance would
presumably be somewhat worse than a conventional full frame sensor and I
think autofocus speed might suffer but Sony's DSC-R1 does pretty well in
the noise department.  A live RGB histogram would be worth some
trade-offs to a lot of people.

ps:  "full frame" in the sense used here does not describe the size of
the sensor.  See Kodak's page here for data on inter-line and full
frame.  As I understand it, an inter-line sensor has some circuitry on
its surface that takes up real estate that is otherwise usable as photo
diode space in a full frame sensor.  Smaller photo diode, more noise.
<http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/sensorsMain.jhtml?CID=go&idhbx=imagers>

Chuck Norcutt