[OM] Re: [OT] Monitor brightness level

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Monitor brightness level
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:41:44 -0400
On 1/18/06, Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the info Chris.  With ColorPlus I have to adjust the brightness
> level manually at the beginning of the calibration process and a setting of
> 97% is what works.  It stays at that setting after the calibration is
> completed. This provides the best black level and allows the monitor to
> closely match  a print.  What was confusing  to me was the tech telling me I
> would severely shorten the life of the monitor by having the brightness set
> that high yet I never had the setting below 89% since I first started using
> it 4 years ago.  Oh well, I don't really think it matters at this point.
> There probably isn't much life left in my Optiquest V95 and for now, the
> setting at 97% works fine.

I think it depends on the monitor. I've used some monitors where the
brightness goes up way higher than other models (to the point where
anyting above 50-60% is painful). You might want to play with your
contrast setting as well though as that will usually brighten things
up too, just make sure you don't set it so high that colour starts to
drop out.