[OM] Re: OT: B&W photo Site and musing

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: B&W photo Site and musing
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:45:50 -0800 (PST)
I had just skimmed the site without thinking, and assumed these were real
silver halide prints without checking. Especially as I had always wanted to
climb in the 3 towers area.  I guess it makes sense  compared to hours with
smelly chemicals you spend hours on the computer with much better control.
Especially if intended for web anyway.  But at the end the halide print has
it's own special character and in theory at least, still has better resolution
than digital.

   I guess at present state of art, with a  5000 DPI neg scanner and  delta 100
you should still have significant advantage for the film-digital version (over
digi-camera) mainly limited by lenses and tripod stability, assuming you had
somebody print it on a "real" silver halide digital printer which could
actually produce really large prints (?)

  BTW , has anybody had their digital prints produced on silver halide paper
output (as opossed to a color print process with dyes). It would be interesting
to hear experiences?

  I can just imagine art dealers of the future pulling their loupes out to
determine if this is a "real analog art print" as opposed to a mere digital
halide print.

  Tim Hughes

Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The one photo I saw that told the camera used was shot with a D100!
The photos look like there is heavy use of PS channel mixer. (Nothing
wrong with that ... ) I like the look a lot.