[OM] Re: OT: B&W photo Site and musing

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: B&W photo Site and musing
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:40:13 -0800 (PST)
> I guess it makes sense  compared to hours with smelly
> chemicals you spend hours on the computer with much better
> control. Especially if intended for web anyway.  But at the
> end the halide print has it's own special character and in
> theory at least, still has better resolution than digital.

First of all, I've got a really sensative nose and most odors
drive me nuts.  My chemistry is almost completely odorless.  As
long as I avoid toners.

>    I guess at present state of art, with a  5000 DPI neg
> scanner and  delta 100 you should still have significant
> advantage for the film-digital version (over digi-camera)

For B&W, this is definitely true.  Delta 100 is an awesome film
and yields incredible details and tonal subleties.  I haven't
been able to come anywhere near the resulting image quality with
digital. Digital tends to be a little sharper (unsharp mask
corrects a multitude of sins), but the tonalities just aren't
right.

My one complaint about that particular set of photographs is the
"sameness".  They're all "loud". As you look at the thumbnails,
every one is exactly the same--just the composition is
different.  Even though they possess "wow" factor, I think most
of those pictures have a high burn factor.  Too heavily post
processed for my blood.  I like manipulation, and I'm known for
having a heavy hand with it, but sometimes you can take it to an
extreme.  I wouldn't mind having one on a wall in my house,
though.

>   BTW , has anybody had their digital prints produced on
> silver halide paper output (as opossed to a color print
> process with dyes). It would be interesting to hear
> experiences?

Yes.  I've been experimenting with digital contact prints.  Some
people (APUG Gray area) have been quite successful at it, but
I'm not getting the consistancy nor the tonal breaks landing
right.  The commercial lab I use for my color output also does
"true B&W" printing on Ilford RC paper. These aren't bad.

>   I can just imagine art dealers of the future pulling their
> loupes out to determine if this is a "real analog art print"
> as opposed to a mere digital halide print.

Already happening now. There are telltails.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com