[OM] Re: [OT]Beer...Re: 100mm f2.8, which is the good range?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Beer...Re: 100mm f2.8, which is the good range?
From: Stephen Walker <stephenpwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:17:35 -0800 (PST)
Mmmmm... Beer and photography.  Two of my favourite
things!

There are some common misunderstandings when comparing
the strength of American Beer vs the others.  It is
true that the legal definition of "Beer" (although I
think it may vary by state) is around 3.2% or 3.5% --
anything stronger might use the words "Ale" or "Malt
Liquor" but not the word "Beer" on the label.

The part that makes it a bit more confusing is that
the typical standard for measuring alcohol content
throughout the world is Alcohol By Volume (ABV) while
in the USA the standard is Alchol by Weight (ABW).
Because ethanol is lighter than water,

ABV = 1.25*ABW

Which means a beer labeled 3.5% in the USA and 4.4% in
Canada have the same Alcohol content.

-Steve

http://mail.yahoo.com