[OM] Re: [OT] Monitor brightness level

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Monitor brightness level
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:30:18 -0800
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>I think it depends on the monitor. I've used some monitors where the
>brightness goes up way higher than other models (to the point where
>anyting above 50-60% is painful). You might want to play with your
>contrast setting as well though as that will usually brighten things
>up too, just make sure you don't set it so high that colour starts to
>drop out.

You really don't have a choice for either setting when calibrating a
monitor. The calibration programs require certain settings, read the
results off the screen and have you modify settings until the hardware
piece reads correct colors. If you then change any monitor setting, you
have wasted the cost of the calibration system and your time in using
it. BTW, they usually set contrast to 100%.

Monaco Optix xr Pro has my monitor set to brightness 88% and contrast
100% at the moment. I had previously set my monitor using various
utilities on the web, but when I broke down and bought a real
calibration tool, it turned out to have been significantly off.

Moose