[OM] Re: OT..but Optical

Subject: [OM] Re: OT..but Optical
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:19:14 -0800
Mike wrote:

>I really like the "hand" of the SuperE's, perhaps best of all models I
>tried, but they got bumped in the final cut because they were slow to
>aquire the image. Again a problem for spectacle wearers. Also porro
>prisms are not waterproof and fogproof.

Sure, but I already have the B&L Waterproof Elites for those situations,
sealed, Nitrogen purged, all that useful stuff. The SEs would be for
less extreme weather where their amazing images, yet with lighter weight
and slammer size would be best suited. Also, I generally use binocs
without my glasses

>Take betterviewdesired with a grain of salt.

I found BVD to be the best overall source of info at the time I was
shopping. Not perfect, but well balanced overall and he laid his
criteria on the table. And you had the same person testing all the major
players using the same criteria. Other sources were useful, but never
comparable to each other in any useful way. If there's better source of
info out there, I 'd like to know about it.

>A lot of good info and I went into the store with the
>idea of walking out with the Nikon Venturers on their recommendation.
>Found them in reality to be not for me perhaps mainly because of the eye
>relief issue. You really gotta try them in person.

I certainly agree there. I tried out a lot of binocs in several stores
before making my final decision. There were a couple of models that I
was very excited about - until I tried them and found they just weren't
for me. There's another factor that was significant to me at the time. I
had recently spent quite a bit of time in rain forests, where I
discovered how important close focus can be in some places The Nikons I
had with me were very frustrating, as there are all sorts of fascinating
things there that are not far away, but out of practical reach.
Fortunately, I had along a backup pair of cheap Nature Company compact
reverse porro 7x25 Kinglets with very close focus. Not much good for
open country birding, but great in the jungle. So close focus was one of
my criteria. The Elites allow me to focus on my feet.

The Elites have been more than satisfactory in all respects except size
and weight. That's where the SEs would be a blessing. Too expensive for
not enough gain at the moment, though.

Moose