[OM] Re: OT..but Optical

Subject: [OM] Re: OT..but Optical
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:12:07 -0800
My experience is that 10X binoculars have too much magnification to
be hand held. The detail your gain from magnification is lost to
motion blur. If you want a dramatic example, look at the stars at
night, hand held. Put the 10X on a tripod and you can see some of the
moons of Jupiter when all you could see was the planet dancing around
handheld.

My other experience, having owned some very expensive Leitz 8x40s and
some very inexpensive(less than $100) Pentax 8x40s and Nikon 8x25(or
so) is that unless you have very specialized needs the differences
and their costs between binoculars don't buy you any better seeing.
So a lot of what you are buying is prestige and pride of ownership,
if that matters to you. I am afraid that binoculars are the fur coats
for men, the more expensive they are the more desirable.

Even 8X is a little shaky for me. If it were me I would get the ones
I liked the looks of, but in a 7x35, and certainly no higher than 8X.
We all get shakier as we get older and are more impatient with
carrying and holding something big and heavy. Unless you are using
them at night I would not even worry about the magic 5mm exit pupil.
I have taken the little Nikon 8x25s to the theater and birdwatching
up until dusk and I can see just fine with them. Zeiss makes some
exquisite small binoculars.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA