[OM] Re: Aperture setting rules of thumb

Subject: [OM] Re: Aperture setting rules of thumb
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:45:38 -0800 (PST)
Joel wrote:
> Oh no ...  Now, without even a lens commitment, I figure
> you're sure to be swept away by the D5 juggernaut.

Not quite yet.  I'm sensing that Olympus just might be a
long-term viable option.  I love the camera and results. With
the shift lens, I can do panos easier than anything.

An intersting thing I've been seeing in my pictures.  The bokeh
and apparant DOF of the E-1 is actually similar to that from a
medium format or 4x5 camera.  With these large formats we tended
to shoot with smaller apertures and the larger negative/tranny
meant that the bokeh blobs were smaller.  You just never got
creamy backgrounds with 4x5. 35mm really does produce unique
image characteristics among all the formats and is almost always
identifiable as such.  It's a "signature" thing.  With the E-1
(and even somewhat with my A1), I'm getting images that have the
same look/feel of medium/large format.  Especially for portrait
work where the E-1 with 14-54 yields medium-format like images.
It's something that I'm just now really seeing.  Now that I see
it, it's quite impressive to me what Olympus has pulled off.

So tell me, just WHY would I give all that up for a LOUD, ugly
monolith with plastic tones, dusty sensors and banding 5D?

Oh, yeah.  Stock photography and landscapes...  Some days I feel
like a lemming, some days I don't.

I hope I'm right--I think Olympus will be a survivor AND will
continue to *slowly* introduce exactly the tools I *need*.

Final thought on this:  If after almost an entire year I'm still
discovering new ways to get better results out of my camera, why
switch now and start the learning process all over again?  Most
pros are "users" and don't have time to experiment and try
something else.  Essentially, nearly all pros just shoot it the
way it came and rely upon the default settings.  It's not that
the new cameras are really getting better, they just have
improved default settings. Pixels and ISOs are just the "shiny
chrome" features that sell new cameras but don't actually mean
much in the grand scheme of things.

But you can bet I'll be drooling all over that new shiny
E-Thingy next week.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com