[OM] Re. New toy

Subject: [OM] Re. New toy
From: "Jonas Otter" <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:36:01 +0100 (CET)
Walt Wayman wrote:

> Until it's properly run in, I won't be smoking any asphalt, and not often
> even then.

Walt, you do know that to get the most from your engine, running it in
means driving as hard as possible?

If you run an engine in carefully, not revving much or loading it heavily,
the bearings will not be freed up properly and you will not get maximum
power from it, and your fuel consumption will be higher.

I used to work for Volvo programming fuel injection systems, and when we
needed a test car with low emissions and good fuel economy, we used to
send it out to be driven by people we knew drove really hard. Most people
there drove like lunatics, so the fast drivers were people you did not
want to ride with. Also we could put an engine in an automated bench for
running in, and the running-in programme used to consist of mainly running
at between 3000 and 5000 rpm and between 70% and 90% of max torque or
something, with short periods of lower load to let it cool down every now
and then. Three days or so of that would be about enough. The exhaust
headers would be red hot a lot of the time.

So y'all get out there and burn that asphalt, if you want to be nice to
your car :-)

Jonas