[OM] Re: Konica Minolta withdraw from camera business: Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: Konica Minolta withdraw from camera business: Digital
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:26:20 +1100
I'm with Stephen on this one, though I've not used my 17-40mm on full
frame. As to metering, I once had an old EOS 630 that was so accurate
that I used it as a spot meter at times. The more I use other makers
stuff, the more I appreciate my 10D.
My recent experience with digitals (I've got six little ultrazooms
sitting on the table at the moment!) has taught me one thing - some
of them fall into your hands and take good pix immediately and some
just do not. It may be a personal thing but I suspect not. The Canon
S2 IS simply IS better than the Kodak P850, for instance. Not just
because it's a Canon. The Fuji S900 however is a good camera that I
just didn't like that much.
I've developed a few tests - how much can I work out without
referring to the manual, is one. Some of them make simple functions
really hard to find and that's a good 'tell'. I test the macro
function now by trying to shoot an orb spider in a web - it's amazing
how many just can't do it. (My little Ricoh GR-D nailed
immediately).  And, yet, these units have their fans.
I couldn't warm to the Nikon D200 for instance - everything about it
was good but nothing was 'right'. Same with the E-500 I'm afraid -
hated it although I know many here have different experiences.
I give in - is it personality related; do people refuse to admit that
they spent a fortune on underperforming cameras/lenses or am I
missing something as usual?
Vale KM - is anyone here putting Hexanons on their 4/3rds bodies?
AndrewF