[OM] Re: Photography Podcasts

Subject: [OM] Re: Photography Podcasts
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:14:30 +1100
At 03:27 AM 21/01/2006 -0600, Steve Dropkin wrote:

>Thank you, Andrew -- you've found a few that I've never heard of!
>
>I've been listening to some of these podcasts for about six months now.
>Of the ones you've listed, perhaps my favorites are Lenswork and tips
>from the top floor. Interestingly, I consider tftf more "techy" because
>Chris typically dives right in to fairly specific topics (not all
>camera-body related, either). Certainly the advice he presents is usable
>by anyone taking photographs instead of snapshots. On occasion, he
>interviews a (usually-pro) photographer, which is informative, too.
>
>Lenswork, just like this list, feeds my creative side. Brooks is really
>easy to listen to and the podcasts are short enough to present you with
>a concept to think about and then leave you to ACT on it.
>
>As you mentioned, you do not need to have an iPod to listen to podcasts.
>I definitely would recommend folks trying out some of these.

tfttf and Lenswork are good and I really like Martin Bailey Photography as
well.  He's a Brit living in Japan and he specializes in nature photography.

His podcast #7 was especially good, it was titled "Don't give away your
art!"  To quote him: "It's incredibly tempting to give your work up for
free, especially when you think of the amount of publicity you'd be passing
up, but if you don't pass it up, you'll be doing nothing more than helping
to knock the bottom out of the very market from which you may one day hope
to making a living."

Food for thought, he makes a good point.

Andrew McPhee
http://www.dev-stop-fix.com/