[OM] Re: Q: Split Filters with the E-system

Subject: [OM] Re: Q: Split Filters with the E-system
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:26:13 -0600
On 1/20/06, C.H.Ling <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With digital I have never use graduated ND filters, you can always do it
> digitally. I only shot RAW, depends on the scene, just expose for the
> highlight or -1 stop. Generate two images from the same RAW file, one
> develops for the foreground and the other for the background, use graduated
> selection mask from PS and merges the two images.
>
> It is for the case where you cannot control the subject and background,
> using any filter on the field is slow and time consuming. Any improper use
> may damage the image and not easy to correct it back in PS later.

The biggest problem with grad ND filters for me has been judging the
correct exposure to capture what I want on film. (Not an issue with
digital's rapid feedback.)  I would have to do a lot of bracketing and
what worked well in my part of the country didn't work the same way at
the Grand Canyon, for example.  Time in the field has never been an
issue.  The circumstances when they are needed are usually ones in
which I arrive at the scene well in advance and actually do a lot of
waiting for the right moment (sun rising, setting, etc.).  I actually
miss a little bit of this kind of ritual with the E-1, which is based
on the presumption that I don't really need to do it because "it's
digital."

Your suggestion about developing twice from the RAW image is just what
I had in mind, as I always shoot RAW as well.  When I get the filters,
I will have to do some real world tests.  Thanks.

Joel W.