[OM] Re: E-1 - questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 - questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:29:04 -0500
Martyn Smoothy wrote:

> Couple of basic questions from an E-1 novice:
>
> I've noticed there are a lot of cheap 3rd party batteries advertised on
> 0-boy, anyone used them? Do they do the job OK or is it worth paying the
> extra for the Oly version? Definitely need a spare battery of some sort.

As Mark pointed out here some time ago, the problem with lithium ion
batteries is that they are subject to fire or explosion if short
circuited or overheated during charging.  Unlike other batteries which
tend to be self limiting the lithium ions can deliver a whopping current
and whopping heat.  When properly made they contain safety circuitry
(costing a couple dollars per battery) to prevent fire and explosion.
Cheap clone batteries may or may not have the proper safety devices and,
even if they do, poor QC practices may render then inoperable.

Read this page for a few horror stories on what you do and don't find
when you carefully open the cases and peer inside some cheap clones.
<http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm>

Given that you can't diassemble your battery to find out what's inside
your only real protection is a reputable brand name.  Then grit your
teeth and hope that what you're buying is not a cheap counterfeit of the
well known brand.

Fortunately, some of the larger and reputable battery companies have
finally started entering the lithium ion clone market.  Energizer is one
and is covered in the link above.  I don't recognize some of the other
brands that did well in that review and suppose that they may be well
known brands in Europe.  In looking for Minolta NP400 replacements for
my A-1 I finally discovered that Maxell (divsion of Hitahi) is now
making clone lithium ion batteries.  I was able to buy Maxell DC3470's
(NP400 equivalents) at jr.com for $20 apiece.  Maxell claims to make an
Olympus BLM-1 compatible battery in their part number DC3709 but Froogle
can't find anyone actually selling it.  You might want to contact Maxell
directly.
<http://www.maxell-usa.com/Content/Pages/Page.asp?Section=Products&department=consumerbatteries&Line=olympus&Product=dc3709>

> Flash - in the manual there is a dire warning that some non-dedicated flash
> guns may damage the electronics of the E-1. I was thinking of trying some of
> the OM flashes (F280, T10, T20, T28 & T32) - anyone tried this? Any
> problems? I did think that the instant feedback from the E-1 would be a good
> way to experiment with flash more than I usually do.

I think all these units have been tested on the E-1 and reported on here
as OK to use.

Chuck Norcutt