[OM] Re: Manufacturers tests published, of their own lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Manufacturers tests published, of their own lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:53:41 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I really kind of discount most of those reports. It never seemed
>logical to me that a high precision manufacturing process would be so
>flawed as to produce the number of bad examples people seem to find.

I generally agree. Of course, we don't know what % of all those sold are
being complained about. The people who are happy just go on using their
techie thingie without posting about it. If it's read the early posts
about the Tamron 28-300 Di, I might no have one. Later posts started to
reflect my positive experience.

>I remember one instance long years ago with Modern Photography
>accidentally testing the same lens twice. They used to publish the
>serial number of the lens in the review. First time it was a great
>lens. Second time it was a dog. The lens may have been damaged, but I
>really these guys doing their tests were probably barely competent,
>certainly compared to the manufacturer.

Hadn't heard about that one! The contrary factor is that those folks
don't act like CR, go out out to anonymously buy several samples at
retail, then test them. They get samples provided by the manufacturers.
No duds. That doesn't bother me, by the way, as I want to know what a
properly working model can do. And per the above, most will perform much
the same.

>After looking at DPReview forums for a while I am even more convinced
>of it. People don't read or understand their manuals or the operation
>of the controls

Often they don't know anything much about photography either. They don't
know about DOF, and post samples where "The lens isn't sharp in the
xxx." where the problem is clearly DOF And they post complaints and post
samples where the IS didn't work - and the blurring is due to subject
movement... There are a lot of poorly informed people with big mouths
around. Fortunately (Unfortunately??), they are not restriced to
photography forums. :-)

>A good one today was someone who had recently bought a $5000 Nikon
>D2X, said he had searched the manual to no avail and was asking for
>advice on how to turn off the shutter sound, preferring it to be
>silent like his point and shoot.

Oh, dear! Tears in my eyes...

>I wonder that anyone who produces anything is able to continue to
>deal with their customers.

It's that or not eat?

Moose