[OM] Re: Manufacturers tests published, of their own lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Manufacturers tests published, of their own lenses
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:55:46 +1100
On 22/01/2006, at 6:53 PM, Moose wrote:

>> A good one today was someone who had recently bought a $5000 Nikon
>> D2X, said he had searched the manual to no avail and was asking for
>> advice on how to turn off the shutter sound, preferring it to be
>> silent like his point and shoot.
>>
> Oh, dear! Tears in my eyes...

Reminds me of the guy in Melbourne who went out to buy a Canon EOS 1n
because someone had told him that it was 'the best camera around' as
it may well have been at the time. He found someone who gave him a
great deal, well under the rest of the street, but couldn't
understand why his photos were crap - turned out that the dealer had
shaved the price by putting the cheapest consumer grade off brand
35-80mm lens on it - and the wood duck knew no better.
Reviewers sometimes get caught by their assumptions, their history
and their sources. And some mistakes just keep getting repeated all
over. One was on the Ricoh GR Digital, my favorite compact last year.
In the promotional material it said that the lens had a built-in
neutral density filter. This is, in fact, a part of the lens
mechanism and not user selected in any way. However, many reviewers
assumed that you could dial it in to reduce contrast on a sunny day,
probably because they knew about the use of ND filters from the past.
They repeated the line from the press releases as if it was, without
checking. That error probably went a long way from the technician's
chat with the PR person through a number of people who should have
checked properly or simply assumed that they hadn't found it yet but
stuck in the 'information' anyway. I wonder if anyone is still
looking for it.
AndrewF