[OM] Re: 2nd Odyssey camera on its way

Subject: [OM] Re: 2nd Odyssey camera on its way
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:18:56 -0600
On 1/22/06, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That was common here as well. My favorite in the Sierras in
> California is Hell For Sure Pass.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California, USA

On the road to Shell, Wyoming (way NE of the Olympus factory) I recall
seeing a sign pointer to "Dead Swede," though I've never found it on a
map.

The French named cities after people (Marquette, Dubuque) or attempted
to transliterate.  "Des Moines" looks like meaningful French, and it
was assumed for a long time that it might have had something to do
with monks, but it is more probably a transliteration of a barnyard
epithet that the tribe down river used when the French asked if the
trade was any good further up the river.  It's not that bad a town,
but I also prefer it down river.

Joel W.