[OM] Re: I've got an E-1 among others

Subject: [OM] Re: I've got an E-1 among others
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:39:52 -0800
Not.

That is kind of saying that a film Oly Stylus was as good as an OM4.
Actually that was easier to say because at least the sensors were the
same - 35mm film.

Most of us with DSLRs on the list started with a digicam. None of us
said, "Damn, I wish I had not done that." Haven't you read all the
delirious comments of people with E-1s? Virtually all of them are
comparing it to their previous digicam which for most of us sits
there unused now.

DLSR advantages beyond the obvious ones like interchangeability of
lenses:
Fewer lost shots waiting for the camera to power up.
Fewer lost shots waiting for it to focus.
Ability to focus in near darkness.
Noise free images at almost any light level because of the larger
sensor.
More detail with the same number of pixels because there is no need
for severe built in noise reduction to get a printable image and
which smears the details along with the noise.
Just easier to use.
Image stablization works better in a lens than in a camera body.
Some DSLRs are sealed against the elements.

You pretty much covered the advantages of digicams which may, for
you, outweigh the advantages of a DSLR.

Just to add one example regarding the sensor, if you check the
measured resolution under optimum conditions, 8MP in an A200 gives
you 1650 lines with moire in the image. 8MP in an Oly E-500 gives you
1800 clean lines of resolution. Less than optimum conditions cause
the image in the small sensor camera to deteriorate much more rapidly.

All of which is to say is that I don't think digicams are just as
good. Maybe good enough though, especially if the next generation
operates a little more quickly. I don't think they are going to
improve much because there is not any profit in it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA