[OM] Re: I've got an E-1 among others

Subject: [OM] Re: I've got an E-1 among others
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:06:08 +1100

On 23/01/2006, at 2:39 PM, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> DLSR advantages beyond the obvious ones like interchangeability of
> lenses:
> Fewer lost shots waiting for the camera to power up.
> Fewer lost shots waiting for it to focus.
> Ability to focus in near darkness.
> Noise free images at almost any light level because of the larger
> sensor.
> More detail with the same number of pixels because there is no need
> for severe built in noise reduction to get a printable image and
> which smears the details along with the noise.
> Just easier to use.
> Image stablization works better in a lens than in a camera body.
> Some DSLRs are sealed against the elements.

Indeed - playing with a lot of Digicams at present and some are quite
good, but not that good. Perhaps something like a Sony H1 gets close,
but it's limited. Is a 9mp Fujifil S9000 better than a cheap DSLR
with 6mp - sometimes.
Ability to focus in near darkness? I managed it in absolute darkness
with a Canon S2 IS - it has a strong, green focus assist light so I
was able to use it to light up a subject that I couldn't even see.
Didn't use he screen or finder as they couldn't manage, just held it
like a torch, put the green spot on the possum's eyes and fired. I'm
pleased with the technique and impressed that the camera could do it.
DSLRs don't do movies - yet. Digicams don't do very good movies, yet.
That is, whatever claims you make will be obsolete by next Christmas.
AndrewF