[OM] Re: Negatives question

Subject: [OM] Re: Negatives question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:06:19 -0500

Matthew Bristol wrote:
> As I said in an earlier post, I'm new to this whole film thing, having
> grown up a digi-guy.  I had a couple of questions about negatives and
> scanning.
>
> One: How do you folks store your negatives?  I've seen a few options out
> there, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips.  Right now I'm
> thinking of placing them in a 3-ring bind with negative sheet
> protectors, and including a contact sheet for each roll.

A good choice

> Two:  for people who work digitally, how do you get the film processed?
> Right now, I'm getting the film developed only 9no prints) and then
> ordering a CD as well, so I don't have to scan everything in to review
> the shots.  I can then just scan hi-res the ones I really liked.  If I'm
> not getting prints made, is there any big difference between taking
> rolls to a one-hour lab vs. a pro shop?

Also a good choice.  As to one-hour lab it depends.  If it's a drug
store with high school students and others who don't really care about
your photos choose something else.  You'll likely end up with badly
scratched and finger printed negatives.  The pro lab may also give you a
choice of how you have the negatives cut or not cut so that it better
supports your storage plan.

> Three:  Speaking of scanning, what is the best way to physically remove
> dust from the negative?  I don't have the spousal blessing to get a high
> end scanner, so mine doesn't have any ICE or similar dust removal.

Try a "Swiffer Duster" from the supermarket.  See this link:
<http://homeparents.about.com/cs/householdtips/gr/duster.htm>
You get a package of 5 with a handle.  Keep the handle and 4 of the
dusters to clean up around the house.  Cut the white serrated cloth
edges off the 5th one and then cut what's left into pieces a couple of
inches long and store them in a zip lock bag.  Use the small pieces to
lightly brush your negatives and pick up the dust.  It works quite well
but will not prevent you from having to do some digital dusting also.

> Four:  My scanner lists its resolution as 3200x6400 dpi (Epson
> Perfection 3490).  The resolution options when I scan are listed up to
> 128000 dpi.  I understand this is an interpolated resolution, but what
> is the highest true resolution I can scan at?  3200 or 6400 dpi?

3200.  See the review of the Epson Perfection 3200 here as it seems to
have the same specs as yours:
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/>

> Here are a couple of my first shots.  I haven't had a chance yet to do
> all the requisite dust removal and such.  I'm too busy taking pictures
> to spend much time working with the ones I already have taken!
>

> http://nateandmatt.com/uploaded_images/qbert-web-734060.jpg
>
> This is a shot of my cockatiel.  To get him in a good pose I got him
> excited by tapping my hand right in front of him.  Unfortunately, when
> he sticks his wings out like that, they vibrate quickly.  I have just a
> basic flash that would give horrid result that close, so room lighting
> was my only option.  To get around the blurry wings, I went with a
> narrow DOF to focus only his head sharply and make the whole blurry
> wings thing look intentional.
>
> http://nateandmatt.com/uploaded_images/hunter-web-740200.jpg

Find a way to get the flash off the camera.

Chuck Norcutt