[OM] Re: A flash and meter lesson learned

Subject: [OM] Re: A flash and meter lesson learned
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:00:42 -0800 (PST)
> Long duration is also the secret to the big flash bulbs. There
> are times when I miss the light weight and simplicity of
> bulbs. Most of the smaller bulbs have the output of a really
> big strobe, as a fraction of the weight.

Yeah, there's nothing like those flash bulbs the size of a
backyard floodlight!

But to be really retrogrouchy, you need to praise flash powder.
Now that was the way to go.  Course, every picture from those
days shows terror in the eyes.  Read an article a few years back
about a photographer that decided to give flash powder a try.
Worked great.  But talk about a learning curve. He made the
mistake of taking a picture while standing in a doorway. Holding
the T over his head he failed to realize the door frame was just
an inch away from the powder.  He set the wall on fire!

I'd love to give it a try.  Might breath a whole new life into
our digital event pictures. Course it would also be great for
shooting wildlife at night.  How much powder would it take to
get GN 6400? Yeah, that's the ticket for wedding photography!
For those of us shooting funerals, that flash could raise the
dead!

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com