[OM] Re: next E-x expectations

Subject: [OM] Re: next E-x expectations
From: David Carter <spotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:40:57 +1300

Pardon my ignorance, but why does it have to have a mirror? Could not the
view from the lcd display be mirrored into the viewfinder window?

David

Chuck Norcutt wrote: You can't put the 2nd sensor on the front side of the
mirror or it will block the mirror and make it useless. If you put it behind
the mirror the mirror must be partially silvered ala OM-2s, etc. The 2nd
sensor can't be directly attached to the back side of the mirror or would
suffer from problems of oblique entry of light beams and would be the
antithesis of "telecentric" design. Also if the second sensor was riding on
the back of the mirror it would add a lot of extra mass. I think I'll vote
for a very high resolution EVF. When it does 1024x768 or better I'm for it.
Get rid of the mirror. Chuck Norcutt Wiliam Wagenaar wrote: Hello fellow
zuikoholics, In the Netherlands all financial advertisements have to add the
comment results acchieved in tha past ar&egrave; no warranty for results to
be obtaine in the future". That said I allways think that "behaviour shown
inthe past is very likely to be shown again"with persons and companies. Now
to my expectations in relation to Olympus and the next E-x (single
digit/"pro-grade") model. Regardless of exact specifications I think it will
be quite a leap forward. I expect: - Probably more than 10MP, I even expect
between 12 and 16. - Faster AF, even at low light. - Less noise or maximum
same as E-1 - some sort of Anti Shake (I think shifting the entire sensor is
more feasible than pixel shifting on the sensor) - Same build quality as the
E-1 - Probably same body size as E-1 to keep all accesoirs (even
booster/grip) interchangeable. Why do I think it will be a real improvement?
Well, based on former Olympus behaviour: Olympus introduced the OM-1 which
was unique in its size at that time, but had not to many features the
competition did not have. One or two years later the OM-2 was introduced
withit's (at that time) unique features: - TTL/OTF light metering - TTL
flash(further improved on OM-2n) - Same small design as the OM-1, virtually
all accesoiries were/are interchangeable. Further back in time Olympus
introduced the half-frame pen series cameras. A few years later a SLR
versionof the pen was introduced (as we all know the pen-F) which was really
unique for that time. If Olympus continues this tradition of first
introducing someting out of the beaten path, followed by the evolution of
that design I think I might nog be too far off. As far as the 3-sensor idea
goes, I think it will only be introduced if Oly finds a way to build it into
a body of (roughly) the same size as the E-1. This sould require the light
tobe split 3-ways in the mirror-chamber with sensors in the back and to the
sidez of the mirror-chamber. The permanent mirrors thet would be required in
this set-up would have to deflect different colours to different sides. I am
no optical genious, but I think that will be hard, if not impossible, to
make, at least with technology currently know. we'll see in the (I hope
http://www.zuikoholic.com[1] List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx[2]
http://www.zuikoholic.com[3] List nannies: olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx[4]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.zuikoholic.com