[OM] Re: A flash and meter lesson learned (another Chris alert)

Subject: [OM] Re: A flash and meter lesson learned (another Chris alert)
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:28:51 +0100
AG Schnozz wrote
> I revisited this last night and found that my 285HV truely was
> putting out the published amount of light. One big problem with
> the 285HV, though, is the zoom head does not produce a uniform
> pattern of light.  To illustrate this, take your flash and A1
> out to an empty parking lot at night and fire the flash at full
> power with the different zoom positions. Have the A1 on manual
> exposure mode and use a much wider zoom position on the lens so
> you can see the entire flash pattern.
>
> The 285HV's pattern at 50mm setting can have more than a
> half-stop variance across the designated FOV. At the wide
> settings, I get over one stop variance. This is why I only use
> the flash with diffusers unless I'm shooting over 50 feet away.
> As soon as I saw the pattern and falloff I started searching for
> an affordable barebulb flash. (still looking).

What AG Schnozz states is another contributing
factor. Nearly no flash maker has his model evenly
(and I mean within 10/20% variation) spreading
its light load. Most have hot spots and/or light
falloff to the edges. Especially the wide angle
coverage claims are often exaggerated.

Again: You only find out through experiment or
flash metering.

Andreas