[OM] Re: Upsizing E-1 prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Upsizing E-1 prints
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:21:17 -0500
Chris,

Yep, it's taken me almost 33 years to get to this point with her. <g>

As for the business name, as Chuck pointed out, marketing comes with its own
set of rules. That said, there are reasons why the term "wellness" has
caught on: first, and, IMHO, foremost, is that "health" begs for an
adjective; that is, you are in good health, you are in poor health, your
health is improving, your health is declining. "Wellness" while possessing
lots of New Age cache, nevertheless does not require modification to get its
point across. Companies in the US and presumably elsewhere (after all, New
Age, Alternative Life-Styles know no geopolitical boundaries <g>), are
scrambling to initiate "wellness" programs for their employees, because if
they show an interest in promoting good health (note use of adjective), then
insurance premiums tend to climb at mere arithmetic rather than logarithmic
rates. (But then in countries with national health programs, my guess is the
government itself promotes wellness, ah, or else . . . <wink>

But I know what you mean about the willy-nilly desecration of language. Last
week, for example, through no fault of my own (I didn't buy the damned
thing), I found myself reading the Arts section of the New York Times. Twice
in that section, in stories about entirely different media--movies and stage
plays--I heard works described as a "meditation" on their respective themes.
My hackles went up, and I started snarling at the paper. Could there
possibly be a more pretentious structuring of language than to say a
particular play or movie is a "meditation" on (insert whatever here)?

Ah, well, I could go on, but I won't. Back to wrestling with printer theory,
where the payoff is a new toy that makes bigger prints that tourists and
others will pay more money for. <g>

--Bob