[OM] Re: Artist's statement

Subject: [OM] Re: Artist's statement
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:26:51 -0600
I go to art shows on a regular basis, and I've exhibited on an average of
twice a year for about 5 years now, and I must say that as a viewer I abhor
most artist's statements, and as an exhibitor, I detest writing them. They
tend to be either inscrutable, or insufferably pretentious.

I suggest making them short and to the point. Avoid any psychobabble or self
promotion. Don't reference back to when you were three, unless it is
exceptionally pertinent. Get out of the clouds. Try for a light style.

If your instructor presses for weighty philosophy and deep thoughts, he has
given you the best lesson you'll have from the class.

Bill Pearce, man of strong feelings....