[OM] Re: [OT] Re: opinion on Lacie external drive

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: opinion on Lacie external drive
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:24:28 -0500
On 1/25/06, Bill Pearce <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> They buy generic drives (WD, Maxtor, etc). and put
> > them in a 'porsche' case and charge a lot.
> Not only that, but the rear end gets really loose in hard cornering!

LOL, it only took 5 posts before it went off  topic but the  laugh was worth
it.

Thanks everyone.  I now have more info to make an intelligent decision.  At
least I hope so. :)

I managed to clean up one of my 3 drives, the 20GB Quantum.  It was
originally formatted with one primary partition and an extended partition
with many logical drives.  Don't ask why... it was before I knew about
FAT32.  Anyhow, I transferred all the msdos data from that drive to the new
160GB C drive and deleted the old partitions on the 20GB.  The only problem
that occurred was a non-dos linux partition was deleted in the process.
Shouldn't have happened... must have done something in error.  Probably
should have used the Linux version of Fdisk to delete the msdos partitions.
Oh well, live and learn.  There wasn't anything on that Linux partition I
couldn't live without.

I came across one problem after deleting the partitions.  After I did the
necessary reboot, Windows complained that drive D was now not recognizable.
And I thought "of course not, it is not formatted ya darn operatin system!"
"Let me into Windows so I can format the darn thing!"  No matter how loud I
screamed, Windows98SE wouldn't boot.  So I booted from my rescue disk, and
guess what?  No format command on the rescue disk.  Anyhow, I finally
discovered I could access the format command from the Win98SE cdrom and
proceeded to format the 20GB drive and once done, was able to boot into
Windows and transfer files back to drive D.  What a fun morning and
afternoon it has been and I haven't even wrote about all the fun registry
edits I had to make. 8-).

Richard