[OM] Re: Oh flash gurus, please help

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh flash gurus, please help
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:58:05 -0800 (PST)
My favourite is  the (slighly fragile) Sunpak mini-umbrella. This little
umbrella is really more like a very large flat diffuser (~1ft square area) when
deployed on the flash head.  It mounts on a clear plate (like the Oly  flash
filters that slide onto the T32). and then sits on a rod mounted in the middle
of the plate. Designed for 544 series flashes, but easy to to use on any flash
with a tilt-rotate head (Oly, FL series for example, you  just use rubber bands
or tape to hold the clear plate onto other flashes). You typically rotate the
flash head to point backwards at about 45 deg (or upwards) and bounce the flash
off the unfolded flatish "umbrella" surface. It has two different diffuser
bounce angles for vertical or 45deg head positions or for closeup etc.

  Advantages:
  It is like having a very low "portable" bounce ceiling even if the real
ceiling is miles off.
  It is very portable and light wt and easily folds up and fits within smallish
camera bag.
  It has much better diffuse light than pocket bounces,cards,inflatable
reflector etc.
  (years ago Modern Photo did a very good article comparing all the different
flash enhancers and this was by far the best in light quality for portable /on
flash units)
  Works with most tilt-swivel head flashes with slight adaption
  Relatively inexpnsive
  Works ttl with system flashes. For example you can combine an FL series with
the umbrella and  combine it with the in camera flash on an E series camera.

Disadvanages :
  Somewhat flimsy compared to say Stofen
  Useless if used outside in even a light breeze.
  May be difficult to get now?

  Metz has a card bounce add on for CT4 flash that works in somewhat similar
way, but it has a much smaller area and sits closer to the head, so not nearly
so good for producing a broader diffuse source.

  Tim Hughes

Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/25/06, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

> What is a favorite accessory flash solution to uneven lightening in large
> room? Have been using tissue paper over Viv 283 as a inelegant but effective
> diffuser. (Its flash pattern isn't all that symmetric either like 285) If
> room is too large some of the more distant areas are a bit too dark. There is
> a 24mm lens for this, though some list members apparently like the Metz 34
> CS-2 as a slave. There is a cute 28-CS-2 which is a nice size for travel and
> can be set at virtually any f-stop for non-ttl auto. Could you use this and a
> T20 in hot shoe? Would one set this at -1 compensation to avoid over
> exposure/red eye? There is also a slave trigger (if it is still available)for
> the Viv 283as well. Thanks for any input.
> Mike

T32 + Stofen Omnibounce.

Joel W.