[OM] Re: devils advocate

Subject: [OM] Re: devils advocate
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:04:57 -0500
Diffraction will vary with the physical size of the opening and not the
focal ratio.  A small diameter, short focal length lens as used in a
point and shoot digital might become diffraction limited at f/8.  A much
larger medium format lens maybe not until f/32.

Theoretically, resolution is also a function of physical aperture and
not focal ratio.  That's why big telescopes are better than little
telescopes.  Apart from superior light gathering ability a large
diameter telescope resolves more detail than a smaller one.  At least
until things like atmospheric turbulence begin to limit the resolution.
  Lots of practical optical things get in the way of the theory but the
theory says bigger diameter is better for resolution.

A typical medium format lens would have much less resolving power (in
terms of lpmm) than a small, well-made point and shoot lens.  But the
reason is not theory but that they are made to different standards.  The
medium format lens doesn't have to have such high resolving power
because the image won't be magnified as much as the P&S image.  Over a
larger area the MF lens will still resolve more detail.

Chuck Norcutt