[OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]... chicken and aircraft, but were afraid to ask..
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:03:14 +1100

On 28/01/2006, at 1:02 PM, Andrew Gullen wrote:

>> Reminds me of a story I heard regarding Rolls Royce testing prototype
>> jet engines with chickens from the supermarket...
>> AndrewF
>>

> The National Research Council in Ottawa had (and probably still has) a
> chicken gun for testing aircraft resistance to bird strikes. I got
> to tour
> as a student. No demo unfortunately, but the previously-tested
> windshields
> were pretty sobering.
>
> They keep the chickens in a freezer until they're needed, and say
> that it is
> *essential* to thaw the chicken. :-)

I was working for a company that made jet turbine heat exchngers in
the 1960's. The engineer's story from Bristol claimed that the minion
who had the responsibility for purchasing the chickens from the local
supermarket forgot the night before or got drunk, whoever is telling,
and had to rush out that morning and buy some. Consequently, the test
objects were still very solid and the engine ( a helicopter Gnome I
believe) took three of these avian cannonballs from the catapult
before showering the countryside around the test bed with flaming
wreckage and roasted chicken.
Andrewf